Q: Does GPRO Training qualify for a LEED credit?
A: Yes, trained contractors, trades, building operators and service workers can qualify for a LEED point for New Construction and Existing Buildings projects under LEED Pilot Credit 81. Please visit this page for more information.
Q: Are GBCI credits or AIA CEU’s available for GPRO courses?
A: Yes, GBCI and AIA credits are available for all GPRO courses. Please visit our GBCI / AIA Credits page for more information.
Q: When did GPRO begin?
A: GPRO was launched in the Summer of 2010 and has been under development since January 2008.
Q: How is GPRO different from other green building education?
A: Unlike the majority of green education which focuses on architects and designers, the goal of GPRO is to teach the people who actually build, renovate, and maintain buildings the principles of sustainability and construction techniques that will use resources more efficiently and make buildings healthier for occupants.
Q: How can GPRO benefit me?
A: Skilled workers will be prepared to work in accordance with new regulations and to meet the expectations of owners and tenants who want healthier, environmentally sustainable, and energy-efficient homes and offices. The program covers the “green gap” between standard trade skills and the new awareness and skills required to successfully implement green building.
Q: Are there any prerequisites?
A: The trade specific courses assume prior knowledge in the respective trade, but the Fundamentals of Building Green course is open to anyone with an interest in green building. The Fundamentals course is required prior to taking any trade specific course.
Q: What happens after I take a course?
A: Students will either take a multiple-choice exam, testing their knowledge of Fundamentals of Building Green, or if they took a trade specific course, they will take one combined exam testing Fundamentals and the trade-specific material. Students must take the exam within one year of the GPRO course date. Students who wish to take the exam after one year of taking the course must re-take the course before taking the exam.
Q: What are the steps to a GPRO Certificate?
1. Each candidate will take the GPRO 4-hour prerequisite course, Fundamentals of Building Green, a primer on sustainable practices.
2. Students then typically move on to a 6- to 8-hour trade-specific course. (If they do not wish to continue with a trade-specific course, students will take a multiple choice exam, testing their knowledge of Fundamentals of Building Green only).
3. Candidates that participate in a trade-specific course in addition to Fundamentals will take a multiple-choice exam which tests knowledge of BOTH courses (NOTE: To take the exam, students must attend all course sessions, as confirmed by sign-in sheets from each session).
4. Candidates with a passing score of 70% or higher become GPRO Certificate Holders and earn a GPRO certificate, wallet card and hardhat sticker for Fundamentals and their trade-specific course.
Q: What is the GPRO credential?
A: Certificate Holders are permitted to use the following credentials:
- GPRO: FUND forFundamentals of Building Green Certificate Holders.
- GPRO: CM for Fundamentals of Building Green + Construction Management Certificate Holders.
- GPRO: O&M for Fundamentals of Building Green + Operations & Maintenance Essentials Certificate Holders.
- GPRO: EL for Fundamentals of Building Green + Electrical Systems Certificate Holders.
- GPRO: PL for Fundamentals of Building Green + Plumbing Certificate Holders.
- GPRO: MECH-HVAC for Fundamentals of Building Green + Mechanical-HVAC Certificate Holders.
Q: Do I receive any certification as proof of passing the course(s)?
A: If you pass, you will become a GPRO Certificate Holder. You will receive a Certificate, Wallet Card and Hardhat stickers (corresponding to the course passed). This certificate will demonstrate that an individual understands green building as it applies to his or her trade and will enhance that person’s ability to compete for and participate in green jobs. One of our goals is to make the GPRO Certificate a common requirement on construction projects throughout the country.
Q: How do I attach my Fundamentals of Building Green + Operations & Maintenance Essentials patches?
A: FUND + O&M Certificate Holders will receive patches to attach to work shirts and uniforms (instead of the hardhat stickers that other Certificate Holders receive). These can be sewn on, or ironed-on. We recommend testing a hidden corner to prevent damage to garment.
Q: Who is offering these courses?
A: Courses are being offered through our partners which include the USGBC chapters in Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Upstate New York, and Texas. In NYC, our partners include CWE (the Consortium for Worker Education), CUNY (the City University of New York) and AEA (the Association for Energy Affordability). Please visit our Register for a Course page for more information.
Q: Can I become a GPRO Instructor?
A: Yes. If you are interested in becoming a certified GPRO Instructor, please visit our Instructors page to see the qualifications.
Q: Is GPRO an “Approved Certifying Body” for New York City’s Department of Buildings’ Sustainable Contractor Designation Program?
A: Yes. Read more about it on our blog.
If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact us.